Egyptian Raks Sharqi Dancer

I wanted to make a bright, colorful character that was different from common game archetypes - someone for an environment other than fighting. So I decided to make a dancer. I designed the costume with a lot of help from my spouse, who introduced me to Raks sharqi. I'm neither Egyptian nor a sharqi dancer, but I've seen firsthand the effort that goes into handmaking the costumes and doing the makeup and I really like the aesthetic.

Realtime render in Substance Painter.
Four texture sets - body, costume, head, and hair.
The images are using 4K textures & the sketchfab model uses 2K. I left enough UV padding so they could mip down to 512px without bleeding.

Realtime render in Substance Painter.
Four texture sets - body, costume, head, and hair.
The images are using 4K textures & the sketchfab model uses 2K. I left enough UV padding so they could mip down to 512px without bleeding.

I watched an Arabic makeup tutorial and consulted with my spouse to try to understand the artistry of the face makeup for this dance. It was fun painting the face and it made me realize how much work goes into this in real life!

I watched an Arabic makeup tutorial and consulted with my spouse to try to understand the artistry of the face makeup for this dance. It was fun painting the face and it made me realize how much work goes into this in real life!

Alt + click-drag to rotate the lights & see the velvet shine! No custom shader - typical PBR albedo, metallic, roughness, normals. Masked in patches of "illegal" colors in normal map to emulate velvet fibers brushed different directions

These dance costumes are usually custom designed and hand-sewn, so I went with asymmetrical embroidery with stitching imperfections

These dance costumes are usually custom designed and hand-sewn, so I went with asymmetrical embroidery with stitching imperfections

30K tris
Head - 6K tris
Hair - 3.3K tris
Beaded fringe - 7.5K tris
Everything else - 13.3K tris
I modeled the beads even though it's a lot of polys because the way the fringe moves is important for this dance, and geo animates better than alpha cards.

30K tris
Head - 6K tris
Hair - 3.3K tris
Beaded fringe - 7.5K tris
Everything else - 13.3K tris
I modeled the beads even though it's a lot of polys because the way the fringe moves is important for this dance, and geo animates better than alpha cards.

Body textures. Going a bit stylized and putting some lighting info in the albedo.

Body textures. Going a bit stylized and putting some lighting info in the albedo.

Costume textures. Accidentally left empty space trying to save room for pieces I ended up fitting elsewhere. With more time on this I'd fit the small pieces from this texture sheet onto the head texture sheet, and scale the skirt & belt larger  here.

Costume textures. Accidentally left empty space trying to save room for pieces I ended up fitting elsewhere. With more time on this I'd fit the small pieces from this texture sheet onto the head texture sheet, and scale the skirt & belt larger here.

Head textures. Ended up with many pieces in shadow - in retrospect I should have scaled those UVs down to make room small pieces from the costume texture sheet. Used metallic channel for glitter makeup! (Though the glitter is probably not real metal).

Head textures. Ended up with many pieces in shadow - in retrospect I should have scaled those UVs down to make room small pieces from the costume texture sheet. Used metallic channel for glitter makeup! (Though the glitter is probably not real metal).

Hair textures. No actual metallic values here. I went pretty stylized on the shapes here so stylized the albedo pretty heavily as well.

Hair textures. No actual metallic values here. I went pretty stylized on the shapes here so stylized the albedo pretty heavily as well.